Aromatherapy is a branch of alternative therapy based on specific properties of essential oils, which are extracted from herbs and other aromatic plants.
Practitioners use it to restore mind-body balance and harmony, thus benefiting both your health and your beauty. Unlike other alternative therapies, aromatherapy has a healing effect that promotes peace and relaxation.
It works alongside traditional medicine, making the latter more effective and longer-lasting. To sum up, aromatherapy gets to the root of the problem and stimulates your body’s own healing energy.
Main characteristics and benefits of aromatherapy
Aromatherapy stems from the principle that your sense of smell has a direct link to your emotions by way of your brain. The aromas shouldn’t contradict each other; the mixture should be pleasant and comforting if it will be useful in therapy.
To do so, the oils are diluted in hot water. While natural oils shouldn’t have any side effects on anyone’s skin, it’s a good idea not to be in the sun after practicing aromatherapy.
- Control of excessive sweating
- Less fatigue
- Feeling of calmness
- Better digestion
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are considered to be a part of holistic healing, which is meant to benefit both the body and the mind. Each one affects a person’s health according to the properties of the particular plant and its scent.
An essential oil is the strongest aromatic concentration of the plant. It comes from distilling the plant and extracting the most powerful part. When you go to buy essential oils, be sure they are 100% pure and natural.
The 7 most popular aromatherapy essential oils
- Geranium helps with menstrual cramps because it has pain-relieving properties, and it’s also good for anxiety, depression, and other negative emotions.
- Jasmine’s sweet scent has been used for a long time to reduce stress and help people sleep. It’s also used to lower a person’s anxiety levels and improve their mood.
- Almond essential oil is one of the most widely used for pain relief. When you breathe in the aroma, your nervous system begins to produce serotonin, which provides the sensation of relief.
- Lavender is very effective for anxiety, headaches, and stress-related muscular problems. In addition, it helps reduce skin irritation and make scars less noticeable. A few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow will help you fall asleep.
- Rose essential oil will also help you fall asleep more easily while helping you shake everyday tiredness. It’s also good at treating depression. The scent of roses makes you feel peaceful.
- Cinnamon, with its strong, long-lasting scent, helps invigorate you and give you energy to go about your busy day. Plus, it minimizes negative emotions like anger and stress.
- Last but not least, ginger is being used a lot to improve circulation and symptoms of the common cold.
Final things to consider
To conclude, don’t forget that you may use aromatherapy, like any other bioenergetic therapy, together with treatment prescribed by your doctor, but it should never completely replace it.
If you want to treat your body to relaxation, aromatherapy is what you’re looking for, especially with a good massage and soothing music.
All types of alternative medicine lack scientific evidence. Therefore, its power comes from each individual’s belief and faith in it.
Your body needs energy, so take the step and give it the gift of aromatherapy.