Onion juice is excellent for treating burns, insect bites and strengthens hair.
This loved and hated vegetable belongs to the Liliaceae family — due to its strong smell — is generally only used as a condiment to prepare meals in every household worldwide. However, onions are much more than that. Although not a lot of people believe it, the nutrients in this vegetable have many medicinal uses that are often not appreciated.
Health Benefits of Onions
- Onions have a lot of allicin, which is famous for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects that also facilitate circulation.
- They have anti-cancer properties.
- Onions are sources of minerals (sulfur, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium) and vitamins (C, E, B6. and folic acid).
- They lower blood sugar levels.
Therefore, you can start talking about the ways you can benefit from onions. Onion juice has a lot of benefits and is main focus of this article. Yes, it may be stinky, but it’s quite easy to prepare and offers many health and beauty benefits.
How to Prepare Onion Juice
- First, get two or three medium or large size onions, depending on how much juice you want to extract.
- Then, use the following utensils in order to prepare this juice:
- 1 sharp knife
- 1 juicer or blender
- 1 medium glass jar
- 1 strainer that fits the jar
- Cut both ends of the onions and remove the outer layer.
- Wash them well.
- Cut them into six pieces.
- Place the pieces into the juicer or blender and process for a few minutes.
- Strain and pour the juice into the container.
Now that you know how to extract the juice, the following provides information on its uses and how to consume it. Onion juice is often used to strengthen hair.
Apply 20 ml of the extracted juice onto your scalp. Then, massage the area for 20 minutes. Once these two steps are done, let the juice act for about an hour before washing your hair as you would normally do. You should do these three times a week in order to see any results after a couple of months.
It can also be used on the skin. Some grandparents recommend placing an onion on a burn. Yes, this may seem a little weird for some people, but it’s actually very useful. Here’s a somewhat basic method:
- First, prepare an ointment by mixing a tablespoon of onion juice and a tablespoon of honey in a cup until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Apply the honey and onion juice ointment on burns, stretch marks, and blemishes.
- Wait 20 minutes and wash with water.
- Protect yourself from the sun if you want to see results.
- Repeat once a week until the blemishes disappear.
These are the two most common uses of onion juice. However, here are a couple others:
This juice is quite useful for insect bites because it reduces itching on the affected area. It also fights skin fungus. You should apply this juice 15 minutes a day until the fungus disappears.