Osteoporosis is a silent disease that slowly deteriorates the bones. The damage it causes can be irreversible, but it is possible to prevent its appearance by consuming foods that are rich in calcium and maintaining a balanced diet. In addition, natural remedies can be used to prevent osteoporosis.
We’ll take a look at some of them in this article.
What is osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a bone disease that causes a decrease in the density of bone mass. This disease is characterized by porous bones. By increasing the size of the inner cells of the bones, they become brittle and break more easily.
This disease is silent, because it often goes unnoticed until it has already caused some damage to the bone.
Fractures frequently occur in the wrists, and also in the vertebrae of the hip. This is the most serious fracture because it involves immediate surgical intervention and serious consequences for the patient’s health.
What are the causes of osteoporosis?
There are multiple factors that cause the appearance of osteoporosis. Among them, the main one is aging. When you get older, your bone mass decreases, increasing the fragility of your bones. After 50 years of age, the risk of osteoporosis increases.
Another important factor is obesity, as it is directly related to bone density. Also, genetic factors have an impact. People whose family members have suffered from osteoporosis have a high probability of suffering from this disease.
Similarly, the disease may appear due to eating a diet low in calcium. In the case of women, the risk is four times higher than in men, due to the reduction of estrogen during menopause.
How to prevent osteoporosis
To prevent osteoporosis is possible by consuming a diet that’s rich in calcium, including nuts, blue fish, or dairy, among others.
In addition, avoiding a sedentary lifestyle and preventing obesity is a strong preventive measure. There are also special exercises for people with osteoporosis that help relieve the symptoms of the disease.
A calcium-rich remedies to prevent osteoporosis
Calcium has as a basic function to provide resistance and strength to bones and teeth. In addition, it intervenes in muscle protection and permeability of cell membranes.
- Adults are advised to consume 800 mg of calcium daily.
- Young people between 11 and 24 years of age, as well as pregnant, lactating or postmenopausal women should consume 1200 mg of calcium daily.
To achieve the recommended calcium intake, one of the following juices can be prepared.
1. Broccoli, carrot, and lettuce juice
Broccoli is one of the vegetables that contains the most calcium. Together with lettuce, it’s an excellent combination.
Carrot juice, on the other hand, provides diuretic and antioxidant properties that cleanse the body, as well as helping to fix calcium in the bones.
Gathering these three vegetables is an ideal remedy to prevent osteoporosis.
- 1 cup of natural carrot juice (250 ml)
- 3 leaves of lettuce
- 1 head of broccoli
What should you do?
- Add the ingredients in the blender and drink the fresh juice. It’s not necessary to strain or sweeten.
- It is recommended to drink a glass every 3 days, although the frequency can be increased.
2. Yogurt, apple, and almond smoothie
Yogurt is a dairy product with a high calcium content for bones. On the other hand, every 100 grams of almonds provide 240 milligrams of calcium. Meanwhile, apples are one of the fruits with the highest amount of calcium.
This is a suitable mixture to provide calcium to the body with a very good creamy flavor.
- 1 cup of natural yogurt (250 ml)
- 1 peeled apple, without seeds
- 5 almonds
- cinnamon powder (to taste)
What should you do?
- Blend the yogurt with the chopped apple.
- Add the almonds and re-process for a few minutes.
- Pour into a glass and add cinnamon to taste. Drink every 3 days.
- To increase the effects, it is advisable to expose yourself to the sun for short periods of time.
You can find many foods that are rich in calcium to help you prevent osteoporosis. The key to avoiding age-related diseases is to look after your health when you’re younger.
In addition to a diet that contains calcium, it’s also a good idea to take advantage of these preventive remedies.