Are you prepared to create a calming homemade muscle rub used for back pain that is both free of toxins and completely natural?
If the answer is yes, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will reveal a homemade, natural, calming muscle rub that is simple and quick to prepare in the comfort of your home.
The best part is that you probably have almost all the ingredients in your home. Even if you don’t have some of the ingredients, you can buy them at the local natural food store.
There are many of you who were probably confused when they read that cayenne is the most important ingredient in this remedy. Now, we will reveal why this remedy is based on the cayenne pepper.
What makes cayenne pepper so good for muscle pain?
Cayenne contains many ingredients, but the most important one, in this case, is capsaicin. This active ingredient in cayenne pepper supports the release of so-called substance P. This substance is created in the inflammatory cells and nerve cells that are part of the immune system.
Studies have confirmed that substance P plays a significant role in the way the human body copes with pain. It stimulates the production of different cytokines to trigger an effective inflammatory response.
Additionally, cayenne is able to dilate blood vessels, which means that an additional number of anti-inflammatory cells can reach the problematic area.
On the other hand, when substance P is released and eventually lost, like when you use cayenne on the same area for a few times, the threshold of pain is boosted. Pain desensitization is the term that scientists use for this occurrence.
So, the area feels less painful than before. In this way you can focus on treating the problem, It doesn’t really matter whether you choose a physical therapy, exercises, stretching or walking because cayenne can help you speed up the recovery.
Other useful ingredients
The rub we are about to present contains other useful ingredients too. They can help the achy, tired muscles calm down and recover.
Coconut oil is excellent oil that supports the skin. This is antimicrobial oil which serves as an ideal base for the homemade muscle rub. In addition, it was proven that it creates anti-inflammatory and pain relieving effects.
On the other hand, raw cocoa butter is feeding the skin with different nutrients. This butter is packed with antioxidants and the skin can absorb all its nutrients easily.
Ginger is a popular spice that has been used in Chinese folk medicine and Ayurvedic medicine for hundreds of years. This spice has warming and anti-inflammatory properties. When it’s used as a muscle rub, it helps people improve blood flow.
So, with its help, you can get new blood in the affected area, which ultimately means more immune cells that will relieve pain.
Just like ginger, turmeric is a spice that has been used for healing and for its anti-inflammatory effects for a long time. Turmeric can reduce swelling and regulate inflammation in the body. Keep in mind that inflammation is actually good for the process of healing. However, chronic inflammation is bad.
Finally, peppermint essential oil is loaded with menthol. This compound is frequently used in cases of muscle soreness because it calms the muscles and soothes the pain. This ingredient makes the area cooler and acts as ice. The remedy that we will present balances peppermint and ginger in a perfect way.
As you can see, this is a fantastic, natural combination. Besides using this rub for sore muscles, you should also:
- Drink more water. Water is crucial for proper blood delivery around the body. The blood contains immune cells that are aiding the reduction of inflammation in the body. Proper water intake is crucial for healing. Make sure to consume half your body weight in ounces of water per day. In case you are injured you can add 15-20 ounces of water a day.
- Rest the area. What many people don’t realize is that chronic pain in specific areas must be treated with adequate rest. Rest supports the process of healing. For instance, if you have low back pain, sitting with legs up or lying down can help.
- Take the use of turmeric capsules for arthritis healing and pain reduction into consideration. It turns out that taking 1500 mg of turmeric capsules a day can provide the same positive effects as NSAIDs when it comes to pain reduction in people dealing with knee osteoarthritis. Of course, in this way you can avoid the side effects associated with NSAIDs.
Homemade Muscle Rub for Joint and Muscle Pain
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons of organic cayenne powder
- ¼ cup of grated beeswax
- ¼ cup of raw cocoa butter (you can use coconut oil instead)
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of organic ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic turmeric powder
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- a glass jar (four ounces)
- Put the cocoa butter, coconut oil, and beeswax into a clean pyrex glass jar and put the jar in a saucepan filled with two or three inches of water.
- Wait until the water starts simmering. Keep stirring this mixture until the beeswax and cocoa butter are melted.
- Pour the cayenne, ginger powder and turmeric and stir well. You should make all the ingredients moistened well.
- Take the saucepan from the heat and pour the peppermint essential oil.
- Place this mixture in a glass jar right away and wait until it cools down. After that, put the lid on top and seal it well.
- Apply this homemade muscle rub on the problematic area.
How to store this remedy?
You should store the homemade muscle rub in the refrigerator because it doesn’t contain any preservatives. It will last between six and eight weeks.
Remember to wash the hands thoroughly after application because peppermint oil and cayenne are very powerful.